Michael Parlavecchio brings wide-ranging experience in municipal law and governmental affairs, as well as a solid background in civil and commercial litigation, to the support he offers our clients. An innovative yet practical counselor, Michael represents public entities, serving as general counsel and tax appeal attorney for several New Jersey townships. He is also Chief Counsel to the Essex County Board of Chosen Freeholders.
With extensive knowledge of state and local matters, Michael’s practice spans real estate development and redevelopment, public contracts, public employment disciplinary actions, municipal taxation, land use and stakeholder outreach among other issues. In addition to governmental clients, Michael also provides general counsel support to companies and has delivered measurable results in the areas of land use and development, environmental and regulatory compliance, and commercial financing.
- Successfully defended a New Jersey municipality in a Law Division matter involving grid-scale solar development, constitutional and local zoning and planning issues. The case was settled through creative use of dedicated farmland preservation funds while keeping the municipality’s and insurance fund’s defense costs to a minimum.
- Successfully litigated a major disciplinary action on behalf of a New Jersey municipality, and argued and prevailed on appeal before the Superior Court, Appellate Division.
- Successfully argued before the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, affirming summary judgment on behalf of a New Jersey county in a wrongful termination action.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a municipality being sued in connection with a motor vehicle accident and related personal injury claims, which was affirmed by the Appellate Division.
- Successfully defended a municipal clerk in the Office of Administrative Law, obtaining dismissal of a contested Government Records Council complaint.