We represent a wide range of public entities, including municipalities, counties, county freeholder boards, library commissions, county colleges and municipal utility authorities. Our attorneys serve in roles including general counsel, special counsel, litigation counsel, prosecutor and public defender, and work with the applicable governing body, board members and other professionals to advance the interests of the public entity and the residents it serves.
Sensitive to the legal, political and everyday challenges that face public entities, we draw on our deep knowledge of the Tort Claims Act and other bodies of law to assist our clients. Our experience as governmental affairs agents (lobbyists) allows us to help our clients influence existing and proposed laws or regulations and obtain state or federal funding. Our attorneys work hard to reach quick and fair resolutions for our clients but are also prepared to vigorously try cases in municipal court.
Areas of Focus
- Assist public entities as general counsel, providing day-to-day services to ensure the orderly and efficient conduct of business.
- Draft ordinances, resolutions, contracts and requests for proposals.
- Provide guidance on public meeting requirements, public bidding procedures, procurement issues, labor negotiations, and land use applications of energy and utility installations.
- Offer advice on solar and other renewable energy, campaign finance and political contributions, ethics, environmental issues and regulatory matters.
- Secure funding from and implement policy before state and federal agencies.
- Represent public entities in defense of personal injury or other negligence-based claims and in disputes with public utilities, including intervention in rate cases before public utilities boards and commissions.
- Defend against wrongful termination suits, discrimination cases, land use, civil rights and constitutional violations.
- Resolve municipal court matters, both for the municipality as the prosecutor or for individual defendants as public defender.