Regulatory & Legislative Affairs
Since government action can have a significant impact on business, an effective government affairs strategy is vital to enhancing and maintaining the conditions in which corporate decisions are made. Our attorneys advocate for our clients on a wide range of federal, state and local government issues and assist them in resolving complex regulatory and legislative matters.
We have earned a strong reputation by successfully representing clients in telecommunications, healthcare, energy, food and manufacturing before various federal, state and local departments, agencies and legislative bodies, including the Board of Public Utilities, Department of Health and Senior Services, Division of Consumer Affairs, Department of Environmental Protection and Department of Transportation. Our attorneys also possess a thorough knowledge of various pay-to-play and regulated industry restrictions.
Areas of Focus
- Track legislation introduced in state legislatures throughout the United States.
- Develop responses to proposed legislation, including drafting and advocating for amendments, securing passage or working to defeat a measure.
- Draft legislation and secure sponsorship for initiatives that address a need or remedy an existing problem.
- Assist with the formation and governance of Political Action Committees and Ongoing Political Committees.
- Advise on compliance issues when bidding on government contracts and participation in the political process at the federal, state and local level.
- Establish trade associations and the operating rules and by-laws which govern them.
- Provide trade associations with legal advice and assistance in matters of governance, board members roles and responsibilities, annual convention and trade show negotiations, and contract review.